Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day 3: Information overload.....

I think I have hit the proverbial wall. If I were a beaker and knowledge was a liquid, I would be leaking from my ears right about now. But that's what professors do---learn, learn, learn. At least I'd like to think that is the case. We've learned a lot today, but I can't quite articulate what.


We saw a great example of an online course using Moodle at Johnson C. Smith University. (I don't think Phyllis has listed her blog yet.) We saw demonstrations of bubbl.us, which is a very user-friendly way to create concept maps. Much thanks to Richard!


We saw some other good stuff too, but again information overload prevents me from recalling it. Maybe I need to read about Paris Hilton or something just to give the gray cells a rest. I have started a new blog for my fall Astronomy class, which I expect will remain dormant until September. I also added two new online learning related course goals to the syllabus. That's about all I can handle right now!


Regarding my final project, I will show my syllabus (I have NOT dumped it into WebCT), which includes the 2 online learning course goals. I also have an idea for a group project where students will build their own Wiki page. I'm thinking they'll need to discuss the surface geology of some planet (not Earth) or satellite (not the Moon).

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love the beaker/spilling over image, Marta! That's exactly how I'm feeling. I had mentioned it in my blog today. Now I'm gaining an increased respect for students who rush into my class, learn a bunch, rush out to the next, learn some more, rush home, etc. I expect them to learn, apply, reflect, and yet they must be feeling even more overloaded than I, since at least I have no grade pressure to worry about. It is humbling, and a very useful learning experience, to come to a workshop like this now and then!