Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 1: Reflections on learning

I have learned quite a bit in Day 1 of the seminar. One eye-popping fact is that a pen can be considered "instructional technology". Certainly a pen is a tool (and a crucial one) for learning, but technology? My brain has been happily stretched today.

My experiences with online learning are limited to self-directed investigations on different topics du jour, i.e. googling. As far as online teaching goes, I have assisted one student through quantum physics at a distance. On campus we have WebCT as an instructional technology platform. I have merely used it as a depository for the syllabus, class notes, and a class calendar. As part of this seminar, I hope to progress beyond "user" and become a "facilitator" for student learning using online teaching tools in my classes.

One good example of an online learning tools (Physlets) can be found at Davidson College. I often use these in my face-to-face classes, and the students appear to be more engaged when the animations are used.

2 comments:

Richard Parent said...

I want to hear more about how you taught quantum physics via distance learning!

Minchi said...

I love your distinction between user and facilitator. Being an efficient user doesn't necessary mean being a good facilitator. ;-)