Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Women in Physics - Besides the Standard Three

People seem to know the famous women of physics, Marie Curie, Maria Goeppert Mayer, and Rosalind Franklin (who did not share in the Nobel prize for the discovery of DNA). When it comes to women physicists, most people are not aware of the many women who are out there continuing their research today.

Here's a list of five women physicists of whom I have been fortunate enough to be aware. I also took a class from one of these scientists, and I must say just seeing her on the faculty was encouraging to me as a young physicist in the making.

1) Mildred Dresselhaus
2) Lisa Randall
3) Mercedes Richards
4) Vera Rubin
5) Barbara A. Williams

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot Lene Hau!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lene_Hau!

Dr. D said...

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to include her in my next list of women physicists.

DNLee said...

thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping.